Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Breakthrough


We finally are having a signing AND speaking breakthrough!!! Yes, Jace is finally communicating and it has warmed my heart to no end (now if we can only get the eating thing under control, but that's another story).


Jace is the type of child who has done most things "early". He rolled over when he was only a couple weeks old (yes, WEEKS), crawled at 5 1/2 months, walked around 10 1/2 months, has excellent small motor skills (for his age) but has just not had any interest in talking. Oh he says a few words like M0mma, Daddy (though that one came pretty late), Papa (my dad and other one of his favorites and FIRST, by the way) and Nana (my mom)...in fact, all day that's what I hear and it goes like this:

Jace: Mom, Mommy, Momma, MOOOOMMMM, Mom, MOOOMMMYYY, Mom??, M0mma??, MOOOOMMMM.

Me: What, Baby?

Jace: Papa?

Me: Papa's at work

Jace: Nana? (though he has decided to pronounce it "nah-nah")

Me: Nana's at work

Jace:Daddy?

Me: Daddy's at work, Baby

Jace: ha ha (with tounge haning out - I'll explain later)
Me: Wyatt's over there, laying down (Wyatt is our black chihuahua whom Jace ADORES to no end but Wyatt is still not so sure about this person who came into our family!)

Jace: Papa? Nana? Mommy? Daddy?

(You get the picture!) And we know he CAN speak because sometimes he will say something perfectly clear then never say it again! We have tried teaching him signs since he was probably around 6 months and he never really was interested in that, either. Again, he KNEW them because I would catch him signing to himself while he was watching his signing dvd's but he would rarely do them for us as a means of communication. Needless to say, he would get easily frustrated, upset, angry and have an outburst.


I was beginning to become concerned with his lack of verbal communication and was starting to wonder if he needed to have a hearing test done. When he would "talk" or babble it sounded very muffled and most of the time he wouldn't even open his mouth when he was "talking" - like he was practicing his ventriloquism or something! :) As a last-ditch effort I decided to order him a Signing Time dvd since I have heard and read WONDERFUL things about this program. (I have also been taking a sign language class since the end of September and have really been working with him at home.) Long story short, IT WORKED!!! Something about the combination of me being more consistent (and comfortable with my new found "skill") and his new love for the dvd has really sparked something in him! I am on cloud nine! His verbal communication is increasing, as well! WOO HOO...and his outbursts are become less and less frequent since he is finally able to tell us what he wants. When he is hungry he will come to me and sign AND say "eat", if he wants milk he signs "milk", same with "cereal", "ball", "book", "more", "all done", etc! He also has learned a lot of animals which is fun to him because he LOVES animals. The other day we were driving in the car and I heard him in the back patting his leg. I knew that was the sign for "dog" but wasn't sure if that's exactly what he was doing. We pulled in the driveway and when I was getting him out of his seat I asked him if he was signing "dog". He patted his leg and looked at me like, "Duh, Mom" and also said "ha ha" with his tounge hanging out (like a doggie does). That is actually his own made-up sign that he's been doing since he was very little (he absolutely LOVES dogs...any kind - big, little, hairy, slobbery - doesn't matter to him). It was probably one of the first (and only) things he would actually "say" consistently.


All that to say, I am finally seeing the fruits of my labor. Jace is just one of those kids that has a mind of his own and runs on his own time-table! He is definitely going to give me a run for my money as the years go on, that's for sure! I am so blessed, though, to have him. He is such a joy and has the most fun personality and makes me laugh every day. I also am so blessed to be home with him. It took a while and TONS of prayer but I can honestly say it is the best decision I have ever made. I don't miss working (outside the home, that is) one bit! Please continue to pray for us as the winter weather approaches since when it is nasty outside, Jay can't work. I am trusting God to take care of us and I KNOW He will provide! God is good all the time...

2 comments:

  1. awwwww - this is so well put - we are so very proud of you and Jace. Keep up the good work mommy :)

    love you!!!
    Mom & Dad (AKA - Nana & Papa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!! Good to hear that he's opening up. Can't wait to experience it for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete